In early 1993 most Americans had faith in the wholesomeness of the burgers they bought at restaurants and the government’s oversight of meat companies. Few considered eating out to be a potentially risky activity that could lead to illness or death, and even fewer had heard of the deadly pathogen E. coli O157:H7. By February of that year, all of that changed. It’s been 20 years since a deadly foodborne illness outbreak at Jack in the Box grabbed headlines. That event, in ...

Register to view this article

It’s free but we need to know a little about you to continually improve our content.

Why Register?

Registering allows you to unlock a portion of our premium online content. You can access more in-depth stories and analysis, as well as news not found on any other website or any other media outlet. You also get free eNewsletters, blogs, real-time polls, archives and more.

Attention Print Subscribers: While you have already been granted free access to NRN we ask that you register now.We promise it will only take a few minutes!

Questions about your account or how to access content?


Already registered? here.