Hurricane Grill & Wings has revamped its menu with new graphics, a new design and three new sections that respond to customers’ requests for customizable and healthful items.
The 60-unit West Palm Beach, Fla.-based casual-dining chain has introduced a build-your-own-burger section and a lower-calorie section. A menu for people with gluten sensitivities is now also available upon request.
“We’re just reacting to what our guests are asking for,” chief operating officer Mark Snyder said.
In the new Build-A-Burger section, guests choose between an Angus beef burger or vegetable burger, starting at $7.99 at most locations. Guests then select as many 89-cent toppings as they want, including applewood smoked bacon, sautéed mushrooms, sautéed onions, jalapeños, jumbo onion rings, guacamole, sautéed peppers, coleslaw, fried pickles, chili and salsa, as well as six cheese choices, also 89 cents each, and freebies such as lettuce, tomato, red onion, pickle and mayonnaise.
They also can choose from among three spice rubs: habanero lime, blackened Cajun and smoky mesquite.
Snyder said that when testing the new burger menu in three locations, sales of burgers rose 20 percent, although it didn’t produce higher overall sales.
“It just moved our product mix around,” he said.
Guest satisfaction was high, however.
“Execution-wise it was great, repurchase intent was great and the guests loved it,” he said.
The new Favorites under 575 Calories section includes:
• Caribbean Grilled Chicken: Grilled chicken breast with a choice of Hurricane Grill’s more than 30 rubs and sauces, served with steamed broccoli and Caribbean yellow rice, $9.99
• Citrus-Marinated Churrasco Steak: Mesquite-seasoned and grilled steak topped with diced tomatoes and red onion, served with broccoli and Fresh Cilantro Tomatoes (tomato wedges marinated in balsamic dressing with red onions and cilantro), $12.99
• Mahi Tacos: Grilled Cajun-seasoned mahi fillet diced and topped with Cheddar and Jack cheeses, shredded lettuce and diced tomatoes, served in two flour tortillas and drizzled with Gold Rush sauce, served with broccoli, sour cream and salsa, $11.99
• Hurricane Grilled Chicken Salad: Grilled chicken breast served warm over mixed greens, topped with blue cheese, bacon, Cheddar and Jack cheeses, red onion and diced tomatoes, topped with crisp tortilla strips and served with low-fat Zinfandel vinaigrette, $10.99
• Island Grilled Shrimp: Two skewers of grilled shrimp seasoned with a choice of Hurricane rub and served with steamed broccoli and Caribbean yellow rice, $12.99
• Hurricane Salmon: Salmon fillet with a choice of rub and served with steamed broccoli and Caribbean yellow rice, $13.99
Appetizers on the gluten-sensitive menu include a chicken salad lettuce wrap and a variety of soups and salads. Entrées include churrasco steak, grilled chicken, mahi, salmon and shrimp. Hurricane Grill also now has a gluten-free hamburger bun available upon request.
Contact Bret Thorn at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Follow him on Twitter: @foodwriterdiary