Olive Garden has added a hamburger to its lunch menu for the first time.
The Italiano Burger is a six-ounce beef patty topped with crisp prosciutto, mozzarella cheese, arugula, tomatoes marinated in basil, garlic and Italian spices. The burger is served with a garlic aïoli spread and priced at $9.99.
The 832-unit casual-dining chain has also added two new items to the “Lighter Italian Fare” section of its menu, which features entrées with fewer than 575 calories each. A new baked tilapia and shrimp in white wine sauce with garlic broccoli is priced at around $15.99, depending on the location. A grilled chicken breast topped with rosemary and caramelized garlic cloves served with garlic parmesan-mashed potatoes and spinach is priced at around $13.99.
Au Bon Pain has introduced a new roll made with sprouted grain, which has 10 grams of protein and seven grams of fiber. Officials said the roll was created to satisfy customers looking for unconventional and healthy bread choices for their sandwiches.
The 310-unit fast-casual chain has also introduced eight new menu items, available through Jan. 12, 2014.
• Chicken Mushroom and Swiss Sandwich: All-natural chicken, spinach, Swiss cheese, sautéed mushrooms and tomato spread on a sprouted grain roll, priced between $6.99 and $8.09, depending on location
• Cinnamon Walnut Coffee Cake: A miniature bundt cake with cinnamon, topped with walnuts, priced at $2.79
• Egg White and Mushroom Frittata Breakfast Sandwich: Egg whites, sautéed mushrooms, spinach and Cheddar on a sprouted grain roll, priced between $4.29 and $5.09
• Gingerbread cookie: Priced between $1.69 and $1.89
• Greek Vanilla Yogurt and Triple Berry Parfait: Priced between $3.39 and $3.79
• Peppermint Chocolate Shortbread: Shortbread dipped in chocolate and sprinkled with peppermint topping, priced between $1.69 and $1.89
• Pumpernickel Bagel: Priced between $1.19 and $1.39, or $4.99 for half a dozen
• Thai Coconut Shrimp: A gluten-free blend of shrimp, red peppers, carrots, bamboo shoots and lemon grass in a coconut and curry broth, priced between $3.25 and $3.89 for a small, $4 and $4.49 for a medium, and $5 and $5.49 for a large.
Gordon Biersch, Veggie Grill, more
Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant has introduced new winter burgers and steaks for a limited time through Jan. 5 at 31 of its 33 restaurants, excluding its two Texas locations.
• Boursin Portobello Burger: A 10-ounce grilled burger with sautéed baby portobello mushrooms and Boursin cheese, priced at $11.50
• Roasted Garlic Bone-in Ribeye: An 18-ounced USDA Choice steak rubbed with roasted garlic, kosher salt and black pepper, brushed with garlic oil and served with roasted garlic mashed potatoes and grilled asparagus, priced at $22.95
• Bleu Cheese Portobello Strip: A 14-ounce grilled USDA Choice steak topped with portobello mushrooms and blue cheese sauce, served with roasted garlic mashed potatoes and grilled asparagus, priced at $22.95.
Gordon Biersch also has introduced a new WinterBock beer for the month, a dark, full-bodied lager with caramel and toffee notes. Prices vary by location.
Veggie Grill, a 22-unit vegetarian chain based in Santa Monica, Calif., has introduced several new items, available through the winter.
• Bombay Bowl: Herb-roasted vegetables; “super grains” including millet and buckwheat; steamed kale; cannellini beans; and cilantro green curry sauce with coconut milk, almonds and hemp seeds, priced at $7.95
• Harvest Bowl: “Field Roast sausage” made from grains, herb-roasted vegetables, “super grains,” porcini mushrooms, miso gravy and hemp seeds, priced at $8.95
• Quinoa Power Salad: Quinoa and kale with avocado, fennel, cannellini beans, romaine lettuce, carrots, almonds, currants, mint, citrus dressing and hemp seeds, priced at $7.95
• Herb-Roasted Veggies: A seasonal selection of root vegetables, squash, mushrooms and red onions roasted with herbs, priced at $3.95
• Mondo Nachos: Corn chips, a vegetarian “taco blend,” mashed avocado, vegan “cheese,” jalapeños and soy cream, priced at $6.95.
The chain also has introduced a new “Pick-a-Pair” ordering option that allows guests to order a side dish and a half-sized salad for $6.95.
Baskin-Robbins’ December flavor of the month is Peppermint Bark in the Dark, a new flavor made with chocolate ice cream, peppermint bark, peppermint candy and a white-chocolate flavored ribbon.
The 7,100-unit chain also is featuring two festive cakes for the month. The Snowman Cake, shaped like a whimsical smiling snowman, serves six to eight people, for a suggested retail price of $26.99. The Candy Lane Cottage Cake is shaped like a house and decorated with M&M and miniature candy canes. The cake is priced at $29.99.
Dairy Queen is bringing back its “Candy Cane Chill treat family,” available at participating locations in its 6,400-unit system through Jan. 1.
Candy Cane Chill Blizzard treats are priced from $2.59 for a mini to $4.29 for a large. Candy Cane Chill Royal Shakes are priced from $3.09 to $3.89.
The Blizzards combine crushed peppermint candy-cane pieces with chocolate chunks, mixed with DQ vanilla soft serve and served in a waffle cone or cup. The Royal Shake is garnished with whipped topping and sprinkled with candy cane pieces.