What is in this article?:
Meet the some of the fastest-growing concepts in the competitive fast-casual pizza niche. Most emphasize a made-from-scratch crust and the use of locally sourced and high-quality ingredients that result in a premium pie.
Uncle Maddio's Pizza Joint
Founded in 2009 in Atlanta, Uncle Maddio’s Pizza Joint was created by Moe’s Southwest Grill co-founder Matt Andrew and has grown through franchising at a rapid clip, attracting veteran operators from many other franchise brands.
• Units: 19, including one corporate location and the rest franchised, in Georgia, Alabama, North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, Kentucky and Tennessee
• Units by end of 2014: 53, including new markets of North Dakota, Virginia, New Jersey, Texas, Nebraska, Colorado and Arkansas
• Signed franchise agreements: 47 franchise agreements for 175 units in development over the next three to five years
• Menu news: Uncle Maddio’s is testing a breakfast menu in a nontraditional unit in downtown Charlotte, N.C., that includes breakfast paninis and calzones.
• What gives it an edge: The concept is one of the fastest-growing in the segment, which will drive brand awareness for franchisees. It also has a broader menu, with pizzas offered in various sizes and types of crust, and items like toasted paninis.