What is in this article?:
Meet the some of the fastest-growing concepts in the competitive fast-casual pizza niche. Most emphasize a made-from-scratch crust and the use of locally sourced and high-quality ingredients that result in a premium pie.
Founded in 2012 by entertainment industry executives Irv Zuckerman and Rodney Eckerman, along with their sons Jeff Zuckerman and Nicholas Eckerman, PizzaRev last year saw a significant strategic investment by Minneapolis-based Buffalo Wild Wings.
Earlier this month, Buffalo Wild Wings completed a second tranche of its equity investment in the chain, indicating even more growth ahead. The casual-dining chain is scheduled to open its first PizzaRev location in Minneapolis in May.
• Units: 11 by the end of next month in California and Minneapolis
• Units by end of 2014: 28, including 16 company-owned and 12 franchise locations, in California, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah and Texas
• Signed contracts for units in development: 65 units are scheduled to open by the end of 2015, including in the new markets of San Diego County and Orange County, Calif.; Minneapolis; Austin, Texas; St. Louis; and more in South Dakota.
• Menu: All PizzaRev locations feature Coca-Cola Freestyle machines, for fully customizable sodas, in addition to craft beer and wine. “Rev It Up” counters allow guests to put final touches of sauces, spices and condiments on their pizzas.
• What gives it an edge: The strategic partnership with Buffalo Wild Wings, which brings knowledge, best practices and economies of scale. PizzaRev units are also designed for maximum throughput, with double-sided ovens to allow staff to fulfill catering and advance orders without disrupting the customer service line.