This article is part of the 2012: Year in Review series from Nation's Restaurant News, which recaps notable news from the restaurant industry over the past year.
Topping this year's most popular stories on NRN.com is NRN senior food editor Bret Thorn's exploration of four restaurant culinary trends. Also well received this year was a look at the innovative ingredients that make up standout hot dogs from chains and independents, a primer on Pinterest for restaurants, and a special report on the profiles and needs of different consumer demographics. A look at new labor legislation in California and a major Burger King menu overhaul also made the cut. Read these stories and more below.
1. Today’s top four food trends
2. Designing a hotter dog
3. 3 restaurant LTOs that went bad
4. Top 5 restaurant beverages
5. How restaurants can succeed with Pinterest
6. 5 successful pro athlete franchisees
7. How 5 restaurant chains went gluten free
8. Meet the new menu at Burger King
9. Targeting your demographic
10. California Supreme Court: Restaurants must provide, not ensure employee breaks
Read more restaurant industry news