The annual NRN Top 100 report, now in its 41st year, ranks the largest restaurant chains and foodservice companies based on U.S. sales, unit counts, growth rates, market share and various other metrics. The industry-leading report has been used as a benchmarking tool for restaurants, suppliers, distributors and analysts to track brands, private-equity ownership and industry growth.
This year, the Top 100 U.S. restaurant chain market totals $222.1 billion in sales, a 3.2-percent increase from a year earlier, compared with a 5.6 percent increase in the Preceding-Year. That two-plus-point retreat in Latest-Year aggregate sales growth for the Top 100 reflects challenges restaurants faced in 2013.
Use the drop-down menu below to learn more about the report, find chain rankings and dig into segment and trend analysis. (For best results on a mobile device, go to the Top 100 full listing.)
• Introduction: Slow sales, but growth returns
• Infographic: 2014 Top 100 at a glance
• Top 10 growth chains
• Five facts about restaurant chain sales growth
• Five facts about restaurant unit growth
• Market share analysis
• Unit-level trends
• Top 100 company analysis
The NRN Top 100 universe is ranked by the following categories. Data tables are available only to NRN All Access subscribers. Subscribe here.
• Chains: U.S. Systemwide Sales
• Chains: Growth in Systemwide Sales
• Chains: U.S. Units
• Chains: Growth in U.S. Units
• Chains: Growth in U.S. Franchised Units
• Chains: Estimated Sales Per Unit
• Chains: Growth in Estimated Sales Per Unit
• Chains: Market Share Segment Analysis
• Companies: U.S. Foodservice Revenue
• Companies: Growth in U.S. Foodservice Revenue